The Weight Loss Challenge

I am taking a challenge proposed by Christina Willardson. I happened upon it quite accidentally. I am in the challenge for 10 weeks, but I am designing a program for myself that I can live with forever. I have done Weight Watchers. And, I lost weight. But, got bored. I have done the PSMF with Dr. Fountis. Lost weight- and fast- but, it isn't sustainable. For me. I have several medications; two make it difficult to lose weight and one causes weight gain. So, I need a regular life plan that will help keep my weight in check.

I am creating a blog for this purpose. It is a place to put all the helpful info that is scattered everywhere in one convenient location. Plus, I can track my eating, exercise and recipes I really like. That way, when I can't think of something to make- I can refer here. Once I try a recipe, I am going to rank it out of 5 stars. Mostly so I can track my faves, but you can get my opinion on the food, too. I can also access these recipes from anywhere- which may help keep weight in check whilst traveling.

I am working on my meal plans now. Once I have that done- I will post here. Again, so I am able to  access it anywhere. And, if you want to follow along- feel free. I just ask that you keep me posted as to your success. That way, we can help each other :)

Here are a few tips to help healthy eating. These alone will not solve my problems, but they are certainly a great start. And, there are some great photos!  You can find these tips and more here.


Use Smaller Plates

Sounds silly, but effective. Eating in our society is very much psychological.  
"This doesn’t mean go out and buy a fancy new set of dinner plates. Rather, start using your salad plates as your dinner plates. Using a smaller plate helps you get used to eating smaller portions. “People will start to really identify with good, healthy portion sizes and will feel very full after they finish a meal on a smaller plate,” Kirkpatrick says. Interesting note: If you own a home built in the 1940s or 1950s, chances are good dinner plates sold today won’t even fit into your older cupboards. Today’s dinner plates average 11 to 12 inches across. Back in the day, dinner plates were only 7 to 9 inches across–the same as today’s salad plate."
It is true. We have owned a home built in 1950 and now live in one built in 1940. Both had original cabinets. Today's plates don't fit in the cupboards!

Go Crazy with Color

Not only is it healthier, but much more appealing to eat colorful. Psychology again.
"If you do nothing else, “keep food choices bright and vibrant,” suggests Kirkpatrick. That’s because brightly colored foods contain intense concentrations of the vitamins, minerals and antioxidants we need to stay healthy. Just compare a bright red juicy apple with a bland beige potato chip or an unnaturally-colored orange cheese chip. “It’s obvious which food choice is going to be healthier for you and which is really going to taste better,” Kirkpatrick says. The same thing goes for grains, like deep brown rice versus white rice, or brown and wheat bread versus processed white."
Half of eating is the presentation!






Distinguish a Snack from a Treat


When we do this for ourselves, it helps our children learn better habits for life than we have/had.
"A snack fills the requirement of being both nourishing and filling. A treat is neither of those things. A good rule of thumb is to snack once or twice a day, says Blatner, author of The Flexitarian Diet. Some good choices are apples and almonds, pears and string cheese, carrots and hummus. Treats are cookies, candies, chips and the like. “A treat is just that, a treat, not something that you should indulge in daily,” Blatner says. Instead, keep treats for special occasions. Before long, most people will start to view snacks as an integral part of a daily diet, and won’t even miss treats. An added bonus: People start to feel healthier and may drop a few pounds without even trying."
My Sophia has a serious sweet tooth. Sad thing is, I think she got it from me. I am working really diligently to help her understand treats are occasional... not a regular part of our diet.



Crunch on Crudités
"One of the questions plaguing dietitians: Why do people trot out a vegetable tray only for a party? Instead, keep these vegetables cut up and available in your refrigerator right at eye level–all the time. Keeps some low-fat ranch dressing* or hummus available and that veggie tray will be the first thing you gravitate to when you come home from work. “It really will become second nature,” says Blatner. 'And besides, who doesn’t like a veggie tray with dip?'"
*Just wanted to be sure you know- that is their recommendation. I, for one, cannot stand ranch dressing. I choose other dips. Hummus, yes. Trader Joe's Market has some vegetable spreads I like. I will look those up and post them, too. 



Water, Water Everywhere
I am a huge water drinker. And, yes- it does cause more visits to the restroom. So, deal. To make water more interesting- add lemon, like this picture. Or, add cucumber slices. Very refreshing and mild. For me, I like it icy, icy, icy cold. Maybe that is because I live in Phoenix. But, even in the winter and in snowy climes- I love icy water.
"We all know that water is good for us. It helps with digestion, energy levels, weight loss, and can even help keep your skin in top shape. Just how much water to drink really depends on your age, activity level and other factors. A good rule of thumb: kids and adults who are healthy should try drinking water with each meal and between meals. To see if you are getting enough fluid: check your urine. Pale yellow means you are drinking enough. Darker urine or going to the bathroom less than four times a day means you need to up your water intake. Salut!"


Indulge in Fancy Fruit
I love fruit. I need to find some great fruit-as-dessert recipes. When I do, you will be the first to know.





"Instead of cake, try making fruits more tempting. “Everyone wants something sweet after dinner, this is just a smarter way to do it,” says Blatner. Knowing full-well it’s tough to get jazzed about an apple, she suggests baking that apple and drizzling it with honey or cinnamon. Take a pear, cut it up, add some nuts, and throw it in the oven. “You can satisfy a sweet tooth without eating a lot of processed junk,” she says"


Stop Obsessing Over Calories
Perhaps this will work for me once I have lost the weight I need to lose. But, for now- I am counting calories. "Instead, use the 25-25-50 rule, suggests registered dietitian Dawn Jackson Blatner, spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association. That means 25 percent of your plate should be covered by lean protein like turkey, chicken or beans; 25 percent should be covered by whole grain pastas, brown rice, or potatoes (baked is preferable to fries), and 50 percent should be covered in vegetables. Vegetables are nutrient-dense, meaning they are packed full of vitamins and minerals, while being low in calories."


Like I said, there are more. These are the ones that I find most helpful. Oh, and the tip about always starting your day with a balanced breakfast. I am big on that one, too. I make sure my girls get a great breakfast every morning

Comments

  1. You are a girl after my own heart. I need to join in with you on your weightloss journey. I have gained all my weight back that I worked so hard to lose before getting pregnant with miss M. She is fine. I am not. I need to readjust my eating habits and start exercising again. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alot of these suggestions sound like the "intuitive eating" or "Mindful eating" philosophies. (that's what I'm trying right now). I'm currently using Michelle Mays' book -- we'll see how it goes. :)

    Good luck on the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great...good for you...I am trying limiting portion size and calories etc

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment